Collaboration for Optimized Retail Excellence Program
The CORE program (Collaboration for Optimized Retail Excellence) is a Safeway legacy program that has now been adopted by the Albertson’s Companies due to the impressive results it has generated since its inception. Since 2011, the CORE program has helped both Safeway and its key vendor partners deliver optimized supply chain execution and planning with over 35 vendors currently participating. The CORE program provides DC, Store, and POS data at the most up-to-date and granular level (Daily DC/Store/Item; 1 day lag). This richness of data allows the Albertson’s Companies and its suppliers to utilize Collaborative Business Processes to drive ROI, strengthen relationships, and move the business forward.
As the preferred data provider for the CORE program, Retail Solutions receives Albertson’s Companies data daily, then cleanses, processes, and loads it for use by the vendors. RSi provides easy to use tools and analytical guidance for vendors, working directly with them to help focus on key uses of the data that will drive the most value. Due to the success of the program, the Albertson’s Companies have invested resources in to CORE with both a CORE team as well as high-level engagement, to drive value for both them and their vendor partners. The results to-date have been impressive for both the vendor partners and the retailer.
CORE data is a great example of how Retailers, Vendors and 3rd parties can come together and rapidly innovate, collaborate and drive benefits for all parties involved.
Amanda Martinez, Albertson’s VP Procurement
The CORE program was introduced as a pilot in 2011, with six key vendor partners on board, and has continued to develop and evolve since. Albertson’s encourages suppliers to explore the program and participate. With a dedicated team to help manage the CORE program, Albertson’s seeks to collaborate with vendors, help develop and drive Collaborative Business Processes.
To join the program, subscription and activation take only a few weeks, and do not require lengthy IT projects. The POS and store-level inventory data are made available through a web based Retail Data Management solution, providing a robust data warehouse and easy-to-use tools for suppliers to access and analyze the data by product, by day and by store. Supplier data is cleansed, validated and delivered in a standardized format, allowing raw POS data to be transformed into actionable information for your business. RSi processes Albertson’s data nightly and rapidly loads it for client use at the start of business the next day. This next day availability allows for quick response to issues and makes managing inventory a near-real time process for our supplier partners. Through RSi, suppliers have access to both training and expert consultants to help interpret the data and leverage reports for optimal results.
With access to daily DC/Store/POS data, suppliers can:
- Improve sales performance and product assortment through better store/item analysis
- Increase new item sales through more efficient and effective store distribution
- Reduce out of stocks by monitoring local product inventory availability
- Maximize ROI of trade promotions by leveraging past promotion and mid-promotion data
- And more!
Retail Solutions and Albertson’s have worked hard to develop a best-in-class program that can transform data into insights, actions, and ultimately in to value. Through this partnership, a number of customized Collaborative Business Processes have been developed to help guide you in the process of using CORE data and driving ROI.
- Distribution Voids: Identify products that are on the schematic, but haven’t scanned. Drive sales by ensuring all authorized products are available at the store.
- Promotion Management: RSi tools creates an item/store level forecast based on historic events to help accurately plan for upcoming promotions or everyday turn.
- New Product Introduction: Drive sales by faster speed to shelf for New Item Launches. Monitor new products to ensure that item has been received and is selling at all authorized stores, and DC inventory is optimized.
- Run Down Management: Leverage inventory levels (Modeled OH) at store level and develop run down plan by Division/Store. Reduce markdown/shrink and safe trade funds.
- Promotion Analysis: Analyze promotion performance from division down to store level, price point and product mix to improve promotional performance by identifying lost sales opportunities.